Sunday, December 11, 2016

12 Days of Christmas: Meet the Makers: That's So Addie

In our 12 days of Christmas blog series, we are getting to know the core members of Gypsy Spoonful (those that have been with us since the beginning). We'd like to introduce you to a fantastic designer, one who brings so much to the table of Gypsy Spoonful!




1.When did you "open your doors"?
  • 2005

  • 2. How did you get you decide on your name? 
  • My daughter's name is Adalyn. I started creating because I wanted all the pretties
  •  for her when she was born. That's So Addie is a product of that. 
  •  I would sew something super cute or over the top and say
  • ....ahhhh, that's soooooo Addie

  • 3. What is your process when creating, do you have it all mapped out?
  • Or do you like to fly by the seat of your pants?
  • I don't have as much time to create different items & new styles as I would like.
  • I have found a niche of what sells and tend to stick with a base of about 5 different styles but using different fabrics or putting a small spin on them.
  • So, I guess I am more of a mapped out seat of my pants girl.

  • 4.What crafting medium /technique would you like to explore that
  • you haven't had time to?
  • I would LOVE to learn to crochet. My grandma tried to teach me when I was
  •  young but she gave up on me. She was one of those straight shooter kind of ladies.
  •  She just flat out told me I wasn't going to figure it out. She has been gone for 
  • over 12 years, but I wish I had learned to crochet before she passed away just 
  • so I could have been like "Look Grandma! I did figure it out!!!" 
  •  And stick my tongue out at her. One of these days....lol.

  • 5. Where do you find most of your online sales?
  • How long have you been there?
  •  I have been the most successful through Etsy. I have been there since 2009.  
  • I was on ebay before that. I use facebook to direct sellers to my online venues.
  •  I haven't had a ton of luck selling directly on facebook for years.



6. What do you like most about where you sell? Least?
I like the exposure. I like that I have many repeat customers who know where to find me.

 I like that most people know etsy as a household name now. I do not like that 
I have to compete with overseas manufacturers who can underprice me
 and cheapen the market.  

7. What are you hoping to find here at GypsySpoonful?
I am excited for a new venue with the homegrown ideas of handmade like we all love.
 I love the idea of inspiring a nation that to make our country thrive, 
we need to go back to the bare bones and start supporting the little guy. 
 We have lost sight of community over the years and I am excited for that too.

8. Where do you see your business next year?
 I am actually pretty happy with how my business is going. I am just the right
 amount of busy to keep me out of trouble but not so much that I feel like 
I need employees. Ultimately, I would like to expand my business into more
 venues (locally & build up through Gypsy Spoonful) but 
I am kind of in a happy little lull right now. 

  9. Tell me one great Customer Experience you've had,and one awful one. What did you learn from the awful one?
One of my favorite customer experiences was sewing 28 Grinch dresses for a dance team going to Bermuda to perform in a Christmas parade. (I guess that wasn't really a customer but an experience) I can't remember any awful ones. I have pretty good crazy radar so if I start to sense a customer is going to be a whackjob, I totally will tell them I am unable to complete their order. If they have already paid, I will refund them immediately and tell them I am sorry and let it go. Life is too short to let awful people take up space in your world.



10. What's the one thing you wish people knew about online selling of handmade items?
I wish people knew how much work and behind the scenes heart & soul go into each product we make--from designing to choosing the perfect mix of fabrics, to making it and trying to present it well with photos. It is also really hard to portray your quality online. No matter how amazing your photos are, nobody can turn it wrong side out and really look at your seams or at your stitching. One of the most common compliments I get after someone orders is how impressed they are with my workmanship. Like they expected crap work and are surprised? Another thing I wish fellow designers knew is that you have to bust your butt. I think a lot of people don't realize you have to be out there constantly. You can't give up or just pop in & out of venues. It's like having a brick & mortar storefront. If you don't have regular hours where people can count on you being open, it doesn't take long for people to not bother stopping in to shop. Be ever present, even if you are slammed or on vacation. Always have your shop on the radar, even if it is only stocked with a couple things.


Click HERE to see all of That's So Addie's GORGEOUS items available on Gypsy Spoonful! 

2 comments:

  1. It is so nice getting to know you better. Addie is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That little girl is one of my favorite models. My Addie is 12 years old now. STill adorable but not in a That's So Addie way...LOL.

    ReplyDelete